2020 September Maintenance Tips
Fall is for Planting. The combined cooler night temperatures, warm soil temperatures, and more rainfall make the perfect trio for planting trees, shrubs, and perennials in the fall!
- Reseed your lawn thru Mid to Late-September. Lightly water newly seeded lawns 2-4 times daily depending on weather. When seedlings are 2” high you can reduce frequency and water more deeply.
- Divide and Transplant spring and early summer flowering perennials as the days cool down.
- Shop at Niemeyer’s for September sales at the garden center. Enhance your fall garden or remove & replace non-performing shrubs and perennials.
- Weed…it will reduce your Spring maintenance time.
- Mulch in your beds as needed.
- Dead Head and cut back spent perennials as needed.
- Plant Spring Bulbs! Interplant with perennials, giving you great early spring color when nothing else is going on. As the bulb foliage dies back it will be hidden by emerging perennials.