Hot Dogs Wrapped With Bacon & Stuffed With Cheese
4 large, ballpark style, hotdogs
4 to 8 cheese snack sticks, mostly frozen, jalapeño Monterey Jack recommended
8 slices bacon
4 buns, like COBS Bread Gourmet Hotdog Buns
diced red onion for topping
Sturdy straws like those used for a slushy
- Before starting, place your cheese into a freezer to ensure that it is extremely cold and stiff. Preheat your grill to around 400°F to 450°F, preparing to use indirect heat.
- Using a straw that you would get from bubble tea, or a slushy (slightly thicker than usual straws) bore a hole through the hotdog.
- Slice the cheese stick lengthwise so that it will fit into the hole you have created. Gently fill your hole-y hotdogs with the cheese, then cap both ends with a plug made from the removed hotdog.
- Wrap each dog with bacon, securing it in place with toothpicks.
- Place the bacon wrapped hotdogs onto the grill and bake using indirect heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning every five minutes. Once the bacon fat has rendered a little, and the bacon has begun to crisp, you can move it to direct heat for a little kiss of flame. Be vigilant as the bacon fat will cause flareups.
- Toast the buns, and once you’re satisfied with the doneness of the bacon, remove the hotdogs from the grill. Remove the toothpicks.
- Serve your hotdogs on the toasted buns, topped with a generous helping of diced red onion and your favorite condiments.