June 2018 Maintenance Tip
- Plant, Plant, Plant….Trees, Shrubs, Perennials & Annuals. Enhance your garden with new additions.
- Add Pond Plants to your water garden. Pond plants will shade the water and feed on excess nutrients needed by algae to grow.
- Prune any growth that may have been damaged by late frosts.
- Pinch back late summer/fall flowering perennials if you want to promote more branching & blooms.
- Deadhead spring flowering perennials and bulbs.
- Water ALL new plantings. Check all annual containers and hanging baskets daily.
- Weed to keep all gardens looking neat and tidy.
- Stake those perennials that you know are going to get leggy later in the season.
- Scout for insect pests. Stop in and ask our experts about pest problems or contact our local extension service at 219-755-3240
- Shear long blooming perennials like Catmint and Coreopsis now. You can cut them back by as much as ½ to rejuvenate them. Late in the month some perennial geraniums can benefit from the same treatment.
- Cut flowers for fresh arrangements and enjoy.
Your check list of products from Niemeyer’s: Pond plants, trees, shrubs, and perennials, colorful annuals, vegetables, and herbs, bagged & bulk topsoil and compost, bagged mushroom compost & cow manure, preen, mulch, miracle-gro, osmocote, snips & pruners!