May 2017 Maintenance Tips
- Plant Trees, Shrubs, & Perennials. Enhance your garden with new additions and replacement plants.
- Deadhead early flowering bulbs—leave foliage until it yellows.
- Divide and transplant summer and fall flowering perennials. Spring flowering perennials can be divided after they flower.
- Weed to keep your gardens looking tidy for your summer events. Apply a pre-emergent herbicide such as Preen to prevent weeds throughout the year. These products work as a barrier to prevent germination. If you break the barrier by turning the soil or planting in the area, you must re-apply the pre-emergent. Read and follow all label instructions.
- Mulch with a 2-3” layer of organic mulch in ornamental beds. It prevents weeds, retains moisture and regulates soil temperatures throughout the year. Keep the mulch 1-2” away from the base of all of your plants.
- Plant Annuals & Vegetables after the danger of frost has passed. Usually after May 15.
- Fertilize your annuals and containers. Use a combination of Miracle-Gro & a slow release fertilizer such as Osmocote.
- Beautify your landscape with annual filled containers! Containers should be filled with a soilless mix and must have drainage holes.
Your check list of products from Niemeyer’s: Large selection of trees, shrubs, and perennials, colorful annuals, vegetables, herbs and garden seeds, bagged & bulk topsoil and compost, bagged mushroom compost & cow manure, preen, mulch, miracle-gro, osmocote, snips & pruners!